Saturday, June 8, 2013

To the moon and back

Sitting snugly on his grandpa's lap, four year old Seth had a big smile on his face as he looked across the room at me and proclaimed, "Grandma, I love you to the moon and back!"

"Oh, Seth! I love you more than all of the leaves on all of the trees in the whole world!" I replied. The challenge was on...who could come up with the best and most impressive declaration of love. All of our grandchildren had played this game with us but Sethie was, by far, the most determined to win.

"Grandma, I love you all the way to Pluto!"

"Let's see now...Hmm...I love you all the way to the farthest star!" I was feeling a rush of satisfaction, knowing that I had the last word. These grandchildren of mine will never, ever love me more than I love them. Not possible.....ever!

Seth paused for a minute, looked me straight in the eye, and with a smug smile on his face said, "Grandma, I love you as big as God is!!!"

What could I say? "Oh Seth, You got me didn't you! There is nothing bigger than God! He is way, way bigger than the whole universe and everything in it, isn't He?"

"Yes, Grandma. God is bigger than the sky!"

"He sure is! God is bigger than the sky and yet He loves you always!!!"

Seth grinned and jumped out of his grandpa's lap ready to go and play some more....

As big as God is...What a concept!...How big is He? I will never be able to understand how big God is because I have a finite mind bound by time and space and God is infinite. His size is incomprehensible to me and yet I know that He is there. I don't understand His ways and yet I know that He loves me.

There is an old song written by Stuart Hamblin whose chorus paints a beautiful picture of the majesty of God.....


"How big is God? How big and wide is His domain
To try to tell these lips can only start.
He's big enough to rule His mighty universe
Yet small enough to live within my heart."

Today, when fear, disappointments, or other problems threaten to overwhelm me, I am going to remember just how big,...really big,...really, really, really big...God is! No matter what, He is enough.


2 Chronicles 2:6 " ...God is greater than all other gods. But who is able to build a temple for Him since the heavens, even the highest heavens cannot contain Him?"

Have a good day! Love, Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment