Monday, January 13, 2020

Aging

   A few years ago a friend recounted this story from when he was fourteen years old......

    One day this boy and his cousin were going to go fishing with their grandpa.  The boys gingerly hopped into the boat and waited impatiently for their seventy year old grandfather to slowly make his way.  He was being very precise and  cautious, placing his feet firmly inside the boat while he used his hands to steady himself.  Finally, the young boys had had enough.  "Hurry up, old man!" they teased.
    Their grandfather sat down, looked at them and sighed.  With a wry grin on his face he said,  "Ya know boys,  to you I have always been old but for me it is a brand new experience!"

    I chuckle every time I think of this story.  Getting older is a new experience to be sure.  For years and years I had the physical capabilities to usually handle whatever I needed or wanted to do.  I have never been a star athlete but I enjoyed a body that could run and jump and play just fine.   Not so much anymore.  Now, I frequently think of a quote by George Burns.  "You know you are getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you should do while you're down there."
    I am definitely there.  I don't appreciate the physical challenges of aging but there are certain things that I like about getting older.   I like the fact that I have lived through many decades.  It makes it easier to understand the world as it is today.  I like the fact that I have a boatload of memories both good and bad.  When I remember the good times, I am encouraged.  When I remember the bad ones, after I have taken a few minutes to straighten my thoughts, I try to learn from them. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes not, but that is okay.  Some hurts and bad memories take longer to process than others. 
    I find it fascinating to watch my children and grandchildren grow from babies into honorable and stimulating men and women.   Over the years I have had to hold my breath a bit when some of their decisions seemed questionable to me.  Sometimes, I have felt my chest puff up with pride as they succeeded at whatever they were trying to do.  All of these emotions are okay.  Their good times encourage them and their bad ones create more character in their beings.
    Mostly though, I find that the older I get and the more I learn about the Lord Jesus Christ, the more I am able to trust Him.   I am able to experience more fully what the songwriter says......"The longer I serve Him, the sweeter He grows.  The more that I love Him, more love He bestows."

                                                                                     Have a good day!  Love. Sue
 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I look forward to reading many more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom says, "Getting old ain't for sissies," and I'd have to agree. But oh, the perspective!!

    ReplyDelete