Saturday, March 16, 2013

The View At The Top


One spring afternoon, my husband and I, along with my brother and some of our children decided to climb Rattlesnake Ridge just outside of Northbend, Washington.  It was one of those crystal clear days that I have experienced only in the Seattle area.  The rain subsides for a time and the pure blue of the sky, the sunlight bouncing off the gleaming peaks of the Cascade Mountains, and the crisp, fresh air fills my soul with joy and I feel like flying.  Hence, the trip to the base of the mountain......

Walking around the still waters of Rattlesnake Lake, I felt no inhibitions or doubts as to whether I would be able to tackle the trip.  We began the leisurely trek up the side of the Ridge.  Jackets came off as the trail became a little steeper and it wasn't very long before Dan, Carl, Erik, and Rachel were outdistancing me.  Since they were tiring of having to wait for me at the end of every switchback, I encouraged all of them, my husband John included, to just hurry to the top and enjoy the day up there.  I would take a little longer but I would be okay.  Concerned, John opted to stay with me while the others left.

I watched their youthful exuberance and energy and longed for the days when I could run up the mountain and jump from rock to rock - graceful and free.  But, at the time, I was close to 50 years old and my days of running with reckless abandon were long past.  I really was very content to go a little slower and savor the experience.  Eventually, I too would reach the top, at least I hoped.  Pretty soon though, John was pulling me up and over the really hard parts and I was realizing that my joyful expectations of an easy, fun filled day would probably not happen.

Finally, I had to stop.  There was no more choice.  We were only a little over half way up and this old, overweight, out of shape body had absolutely no more oomph left.  I collapsed on a rock and waited for breath to resume a normal even pace.  To my chagrin, John was still breathing slow and easy even though he had all but carried me over the last part of the path!

While we sat there, we exchanged pleasantries with people as they passed by.  Over and over again they gave the same message...."The view is incredible!  Very beautiful!  Don't stop now.  The view at the top is worth it! Don't miss out!"

"Okay, okay” I replied, "Just give me a few minutes." 

Another group of four came by with the same message.  As the last person walked past me though, she leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Don't listen to them.  You're just about to reach the toughest part.  There is a muddy area around the next turn and it begins to get really, really steep!  There is still a long way to go and the worst is yet to come!!!!!!!"  Finally, a truthful person who could reinforce my fatalistic thoughts!

I began to prepare to go back to the car.  But, John refused to leave me.  If I was determined to turn around, then he would too.  Guilt swept over me. I knew that hiking to the top of mountains was one of his favorite pastimes and I knew that even though he was being gracious and kind to me, he would be disappointed.
 
I couldn't stand that thought.  So......we started off again.  Sure enough, for me, the trail became a horrible experience.  Breathless, my heart thumped so loud and hard that I believed it would pound out of my chest and roll right down the hill.  John remained faithful and encouraged rests when I couldn't go any longer.

Other trekkers were coming down at an increasing rate and their exclamations of delight over the view at the top became an inspiration to me at a time when I sorely needed it.  The trail was never ending and just kept getting worse.

Finally, we turned a corner and there, through a crack between two large boulders, was my first glimpse of Mt. Si.  There are no words to adequately describe how breathtakingly beautiful that scene was!  Given a new spurt of energy we quickly scampered the rest of the way so that we could see the view in its magnificent entirety.  There at the crest we surveyed the full range of the Cascades with their gleaming snow covered tops.  We could see the outlines of both Mt. Baker to the North and Mt. Rainier to the South.

Joyful grins adorned our faces as we greeted Dan and the kids.  The air was invigorating and I couldn't help but agree wholeheartedly with the hiker's message - The view at the top was wonderful and had been TRULY worth it!  In fact, many years later, if I close my eyes and imagine, I can still feel the warmth of the sun and the whisper of the breeze as it touched my cheek.  I can hear the shouts of joy as the kids discovered holes in the rocks and the expressions of awe as other travelers also made their way to the top.  It was a great day that I could easily have missed.

As I slowly, but contentedly, made my way down the mountain trail I thought about the many times in my life when I have felt like giving up.  Over the course of my life, I have had many disappointments and been discouraged.  Sometimes I have been overcome with problems and been unable to cope.  But, before despair overwhelms me, I usually receive, in some manner or form, encouragement and a "view through the crack of the boulders" that gives me courage to continue.  There I catch a glimpse of what heaven will be like.  For a brief instant, I am able to catch sight of what I have to look forward to.  It gives me hope to carry on.

Even though the road we walk here on earth is hard at times and not always fair, heaven is waiting and if I listen closely, I can hear the voices of those that have gone before - "Don't give up, don't give in, keep walking the good walk and fighting the good fight.  Keep your eyes focused on the goal and never ever take your eyes from it.  The view is worth it!  Heaven and being with the Lord of Life is worth it all!!!!!  Don't miss it!

“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
                                                                                          Hebrews 12:1-2

 "Now we see through the mirror dimly but then we will see face to face.  Now we understand in part but then we shall understand fully."  
 1 Corinthians 13:1
                                        
                                                           Have a good day!  Love, Sue




No comments:

Post a Comment